5th DAN to 6th DAN
The word "Chonkwon" means the Heaven's Great Mighty, which is the origin of all the creature and itself the cosmos. Its infinite competence signifies the creation, change and completion. Human beings have used the name of Heaven for all principal earthly shapes and meanings because they felt afraid of the Heaven's mighty. Over 4,000 years ago, the founder of the Korean people, "Hwanin" meant the heavenly King. He settled down in the "heavenly" town as the capital near the heavenly sea and heavenly mountain, where the Han people as the heavenly race gave birth to the proper through and action from which Taekwondo was originated. The poomsae Chunkwon is based on such sublime history and thoughts.
The new techniques introduced in thtis poomsae are nalgae-pyogi [wing opening], bam-jumeok-sosum-chigi [knuckle protruding fist springing chigi], hwidullo-makki [swinging makki], hwidullo-jabadangkigi [swinging and drawing], keumgang-yop-jireugi, taesan-milgi, etc., and a crouched walking manner.
The characteristics of movements are large actions and arm sections forming gentle curves, thus symbolizing the greatness of Chunkwon thought. The poomsae line "T" symbolizes a man coming down from the heaven, submitting to the will of Heaven, being endowed power by the Heaven and worshiping the Heaven, which means the oneness between the Heaven and a human being.
Movements - 38
READY STANCE: Attention stance toward -B- with open hands at belt level, right on top of left.
1. Draw the hands to the chest inhaling.
2. From the same stance, exhaling, push both hands to the sides, palms outward, at shoulder level, like a bird spreading its wings.
3 & 4.
From the same stance, in a circular motion, rapidly bring the hands up in front of the chest to execute a chestnut bursting fist strike. Then immediately step back to a left TIGER STANCE (with the left foot back) and quickly execute a double middle knuckle fist strike to the body, toward -B-.
5. Twist the body toward -R- without moving the feet into a right normal WALKING STANCE. Execute a left rising knifehand body block to -B-.
6. Facing -B-, pull this left hand toward the hip and step slowly forward into a left FRONT STANCE to -B-, and execute a right middle reverse punch, slowly to -B-.
7. Twist the body to the left assuming a left WALKING STANCE sliding the right foot forward. Execute a right rising knifehand body block to -B-.
8. Pull the blocking hand to the waist. Move forward to a right FRONT STANCE with a left middle reverse punch, slowly to -B-.
9. Twist the body to the right, dragging the left foot. Assume a right WALKING STANCE and execute a left rising knifehand body block to -B-
10 & 11.
Clench the left hand into a fist and pull it to the chest and execute a left sidethrust kick to -B- and YELL!! Advance the left foot into a left FRONT STANCE and execute a left low block to -B-.
12. Advance into a right FRONT STANCE with a right middle straight punch.
13. Pivot on the right foot counter-clockwise toward -R- into a right BACK STANCE with a left augmented body block.
14 & 15. In a circular motion, at first inward then outward, shake off a grab. As the left fist comes close to the left leg, execute a left side body punch.
16 & 17. Shifting the weight to the left foot, execute a left open hand face block. Move the right foot forward to assume a left BACK STANCE and execute a right side body punch to -R-.
18. Pivot on the left foot clockwise toward -L- into a left BACK STANCE with a right augmented body block to -L-.
19 & 20.
In a circular motion, outward motion, first shake off a grab, then execute a right side body punch to -L-.
21 & 22.
Step forward with the left foot toward -L-. When it is about 12 inches behind the right foot, execute a right open hand face block. Without hesitating after the face block, smoothly advance to a right BACK STANCE and execute a left side body punch to -L-.
23. Pivot counter-clockwise on the right foot to -A-. Assume a left FRONT STANCE with a right in-to-out middle block, torqueing the body to left.
24. Execute a left middle straight punch to -A-.
25 & 26.
Execute a right front snap kick to -A- and lower foot into a right FRONT STANCE. Execute a right middle straight punch to -A-.
27. Pull the right foot to assume a left BACK STANCE and execute a low twin knifehand block to -A-.
28 & 29.
Slide both feet forward in the same stance and execute a right augmented body block, then execute a low right augmented block.
30. Turn the right foot inward to assume a HORSE STANCE facing -R- and execute a right diamond mountain punch to -A-.
31 & 32.
Stamp with the right foot and jump doing a 360 degree turning, outside crescent kick. The kick is completed facing -A-, Continue to turn landing in the same position as the kick began, in a HORSE STANCE. Execute a right diamond mountain punch to -A-.
33. Pivot left foot and look to -B- assuming a right BACK STANCE with a left low knifehand block and a high right knifehand block (palm inward).
34. Keep the feet in place and shift to a left BACK STANCE toward -A- with a right low knifehand block and a left high right knifehand block (palm inward).
35 & 36. Pivot on the right foot and turn counter-clockwise to face -B-, feet together and make a large circular motion from the waist, moving the open hands outward. When the hands return to the hips, step forward to -B- into a left TIGER STANCE and execute low and high palm heel strikes. Right hand is low level.
37 & 38. Bring the right foot to the rear and feet together bring both open hands around in an outward circular motion. When the hands return to the hips, step forward to a right TIGER STANCE and execute a high and low palm heel strike with left hand low level.
MOVE LEFT FOOT TO RIGHT FOOT, RIGHT HAND ON TOP OF LEFT AT BELT LEVEL