Revelation Chapter 17:
1. And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials, and talked with me, saying unto me, Come hither; I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters:
2. With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication.
3. So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns.
4. And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:
5. And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.
6. And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: (KJV)
One of the major causes of His divine wrath is the corrupt one-world religion that will arise at the end time. In the first half of the Tribulation, (which comes after the Rapture), this one-world religion will exercise significant control over the ten kings who will rule the world under the Antichrist. Every false religion in the world can be traced back to Babylon.
Even before the Tower of Babel, Satan had made that city his headquarters and introduced idolatry, the first secret societies, and many of the religious practices that continue to the present day. These eventually appeared as the foundational teachings for Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Gaia worship, and the host of other cultic systems summed up in the Bible as MYSTERY BABYLON. These false religions consistently violate the first four commandments, those that concern man and his relationship to God ("You shall not worship other gods!" "Make no graven images, nor worship them or serve them!" "Do not take the name of the Lord in vain!" "Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy!"; see Exodus 20).
In short, all pagan religions depend on the worship of images, or as some call them, "aids to worship." If Babylon is the mother of all false religions and Jerusalem is the mother of true faith (since Jesus Christ was crucified, buried, and resurrected there), then Rome is the mother of an unholy mixture of the two.
By the time Paul and other Christians got to Rome, the city had become not only the capital of a world empire (thus the center of civilization and the most important city in the world) but also the center of pagan "Mystery Babylon" religion. Satan had moved his spiritual headquarters from Babylon to Rome even before the birth of Christ. When Constantine made his "confession of faith" in the fourth century (if indeed that is what it was), he turned over to the Christian leaders the temples of the pagans that, according to the official tour books of Rome, included:
*** The Greek divinities, Athena, that had become Minerva, Ares became Mars, Aphrodite became Venus. Apollo retained its Greek name, thus the Greek god of mythology became the Roman Olympus. The temple Isis (straight from Babylon) was there, along with the Egyptian Campus Martius, many oriental divinities including Mithras, the Persian god of the sun.***
The city of Rome around A.D. 320 was filled with temples, idols, and shrines to almost every god in the pantheon of pagan religions. It is said the church retained much of the statuary in the pagan temples; it simply rededicated them to Christianity, then chiseled off the names of the pagan deities and replaced them with the names of the apostles, Jesus, and Mary. Gradually the pagan practices and teachings of Babylon began to worm their way into Christianity. These included prayers for the dead, making the sign of the cross, worship of saints and angels, instituting the mass, and worship of Mary (which in the church of Rome was followed by prayers directed to Mary, leading to the 1950c doctrine of her assumption into heaven and in 1965 to the proclamation the Mary was the "Mother of the Church."